Monday, May 14, 2012

David Dalla Venezia - Number 577 [2008]


David Dalla Venezia was born in Cannes, France on April 10, 1965; he lives and works in Venice. He graduated from liceo classico (secondary school focusing on humanities), and went on to study art and philosophy at the University of Venice. In 1987 in collaboration with the Japanese artist Hiroshi Daikoku, he began to paint large compositions on the temporary wooden structures used to enclose sites where renovation work is carried out on the streets of Venice. The success of these paintings was hinged upon the most immediate, spontaneous but responsible, communication with the man in the street. Indeed, they were received with wide critical and public acclaim. The project lasted until 1989 with the eventual completion of 12 paintings.

“Since it is I who paints these pictures it is true that they are portraits of myself. However, as they are portraits of a man, they are also portraits of every man: what I depict of myself is common to all men; what I omit is that which differentiates me from them.


[Oil on canvas, 97 x 195 cm]

No comments:

Post a Comment